Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Grocery Delivery - Worthwhile for Now?

No comments :

It looks like there's a lot of new grocery delivery programs opened in the last few years. This seems to be worthwhile for folks who don't enjoy the supermarket experience much, or have inflated grocery prices for their region of the country. I'm living in a MCOL in the US and personally enjoy grocery shopping and preparing meals. I just tried Misfits Market which seemed to switch to a "build your own box" model recently so you can pick what you would actually use. I got good value from the first box due to promotional discounts from referrals and my bank (BoA and some others have $5 cashback offer right now; total discount $15 off $35)*, but I'm not sure it will be something I stick with after using all my credits. Reasoning:

Pros:

  • Cheaper produce if you're in a HCOL or value organic produce
  • Organic produce at similar prices to regular grocery store produce
  • Save time from the grocery store
  • Some items are heavily discounted
  • More diversity than my local grocery store
  • Get 2-3 discounted boxes if you get your partner to sign up (referral bonus + bank bonus)

Cons:

  • Everything is packaged together without much padding, so tomatoes will be squished by cans
  • Local grocery store may be cheaper, especially if you don't care if your produce is organic.
  • May not provide value for smaller households.
  • Someone else picks your produce, and it might be close to expiring.
  • High demand items may be cancelled from your order due to supply issues. You get credited back the value for future boxes.

My conclusion is that you can get a good deal on your first order from discounts they are all offering right now to compete with each other, but cancel after the first box. Has anyone decided to stick with a service like this? Why?

*The bank bonus was offered a few weeks ago and I got another one recently. It says one time use only, but I'm not sure if that's for the offer period or forever. I will post an edit to see if it applies again.



Submitted September 15, 2021 at 10:31AM by Femdo https://ift.tt/3tHqEkJ

No comments :

Post a Comment