Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Tips for earning $27+/hr on Upwork

No comments :

Are there many other Upwork (formerly Elance/oDesk) users on here?

I was able to find some super flexible work on Upwork to help supplement my income during college. It's great because you can seek out as much or as little work as you'd like. However, I've noticed it's becoming increasingly competitive so I thought I'd share some observations. :-)

I've found that success on Upwork (aside from doing a damn good job on your projects!) comes down to three main things:

  1. Creating a credible, professional profile
  2. Applying for the right jobs
  3. Submitting a persuasive proposal

Here are some quick notes that can help you get started in the right direction.

Creating a credible, professional profile

  1. Choose a professional and friendly photo
  2. Keep your title short and sweet
  3. Showcase your expertise in the overview section
  4. Make your skills section work for you
  5. Tell your story by showing your best work in your portfolio
  6. Link other accounts to your Upwork profile
  7. Show off your previous success stories in your employment history

Source: 8 Tips for the Perfect Developer Profile on Upwork

Applying for the right jobs

This is one I've learned from personal experience.

At first, it's tempting to apply for and accept ANY JOB you think you can potentially get. DO NOT DO THIS!

It's important, especially early on, to focus on winning projects that you can earn a 5-star review for. Having a high rating is absolutely essential social proof for winning additional jobs.

Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way. One of my first projects went pretty poorly due to mishandled communications. The client was unclear on what she expected, and I was unclear on what I'd deliver. After a few weeks, we settled on a reduced payment for the work I had delivered. However, she also left a (fair) three-star review that dropped my profile average.

When you're getting started on Upwork, you want to do the opposite of what you might expect – be extremely selective in finding work you'll excel at, since your early reviews are key!

Submitting a persuasive proposal

  • Do not focus on yourself in the proposal
    Do not just use the same copy and paste proposal each time
  • End the proposal with a question
  • Be personable
  • State what your experience has been with what they need done and talk about the outcome of the past projects if it was positive.
  • Don’t be afraid to be blatantly honest.
  • Offer a small discount in the beginning.

Source: How To Start Making Money Online With Upwork

I have to admit, I'm still a bit of a newbie with Upwork. I just use it for part-time, project-based work. I'd love to hear insights from anybody doing it full-time!



Submitted September 18, 2018 at 08:09PM by SLCanonymous https://ift.tt/2xxOiDp

No comments :

Post a Comment