Friday, February 3, 2017

Just got smacked with a $2700 hospital bill

No comments :

Early January, I was out of town and I smacked my face into the glass sliding door of the hotel I was staying at. Got a decent sized cut on my forehead. Lots of blood, I freaked out and went to the ER, didn't know if I had a concussion or needed stitches or what. They decided that I didn't need stitches and that Dermabond (skin glue) would be enough to close up the wound. I was told it would come off on its own in 7-10 days and my cut would be healed.

The skin glue didn't last that long. It came off in 4 days, and the cut looked worse than it was when I got it. I was still out of town, so I had no real choice but to go back to the same hospital and see what was up. The person I saw this time took one look at my cut and immediately said I should have gotten stitches the first time, that Dermabond never lasts more than 4-5 days. Also pointed out that I shouldn't get stitches at that point since it would increase risk of infection. So she gives me some steristrips and antibiotics and sends me on my way.

Today I got a bill from the hospital. After insurance, I owe $1365 per visit. Despite the fact that I only went in the second time because I was misinformed and given the incorrect treatment the first time. Is there any way to dispute this or get some kind of discount? I have the cash on hand, but $2700 seems way too hefty a price.



Submitted February 03, 2017 at 07:38PM by Chockrit http://ift.tt/2kqWrTx

No comments :

Post a Comment