Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Best approach to getting new glasses (22M, 35k, VSP Insurance)?

No comments :

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this. I have so many questions for Reddit to help me with, but I rarely ever want to post them because I feel tied down by all the rules on every sub-reddit.

I last got new glasses probably 2 or 3 years ago. I just graduated from college in May of 2017, so I was mostly busy with that. I am an independent, single guy who makes about 35,000 before taxes and in a perfect world I have $1000 free every month to throw at whatever. I have previously gone to Vision Works, which really strikes me as a place that tries to upsell and overcharge. I went the other day to get an estimate, but of course they didn't give me one in person, and they said that it would have been about $200 after my $30 co-pay for the exam, thin index lenses, and my frames (free up to $130 with my insurance). I guess that isn't too bad, but I wonder if there are cheaper ways to get similar quality glasses.

So I guess I have a few questions.

  1. Is $200 reasonable to pay for new glasses? These ones supposedly are "HD" and have blue-light protections
  2. What physical locations might you suggest I visit for exam/glasses? Which online retailers?
  3. Would it be possible for me to go into a place like this, or if there is a better place please suggest, and just get an exam and my prescription to then be able to choose glasses online?

Thanks to anyone that helps out.



Submitted September 18, 2018 at 10:24PM by LoyalLedger https://ift.tt/2xnGPrt

No comments :

Post a Comment