Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Air Conditioner

No comments :

I finally have my own apartment! Now that it's starting to get warm (kind of, high of 45 Fahrenheit today) in the northeast, I am needing to look into purchasing an AC. I am planning on one AC for my whole apartment. My apartment is about 1,200 square feet and has a lot of southerly facing windows. I'm going to be investing in blackout curtains for most of the windows, but I'm trying to figure out what size AC would work best.

I have found a 12,000 BTU AC on Facebook marketplace. Seller claims it's 2 years old, but was only used one year. Asking $140, I am waiting for a response to see if the plug is a standard or 220 (but I'm 95% sure it's a standard plug) as we don't have a 220 outlet.

My question is, would it be realistic to cool my entire apartment with a 12,000 BTU AC? I was planning on purchasing a couple box fans to help blow the cold air to other parts of the apartment, and most of my apartment is an open floor plan. The AC would be in the kitchen, which is open to the dining room and living room. The bedroom door would be across from the AC unit and my fiance's office would be next to the AC unit. We don't mind sleeping with the bedroom door open. Also, my fiance works from home so keeping his office cool is pretty important to him. Should I go for a lower/higher BTU?

I know the most frugal thing would be to not have an AC, but that's not what I'm looking for, I'm looking for a frugal way to have an AC. Also, any tips and tricks for keeping cool would be appreciated (water is paid for by landlord so I'll be taking cold showers for sure!). Thank you!

TL;DR: Will a 12,000 BTU AC be efficient in cooling down a 1,200 square foot apartment, or should I be looking for a higher or lower BTU?



Submitted May 14, 2019 at 08:26AM by IneffectiveSunshine http://bit.ly/2E5cSQg

No comments :

Post a Comment